Microneedling: What It Is and Why You Need It
If you know me you know I live by microneedling - it’s simple, affordable, quick, and (mainly) painless.
I am sure you have heard of the procedure which has also been dubbed the “vampire facial” - Here are some of the reasons why you should incorporate it into your skincare routine:
THE PROCEDURE: the idea of needles in the face may seem scary but most clients tell me they feel like they are getting a face massage
Step 1: Topically numbed for 15- 20 min
Step 2: The skin is then cleaned with an antiseptic
Step 3: Fine needles are used to puncture the skin creating areas of micro-trauma – this generates a bloody appearing face
The procedure can vary in the depth of trauma and the speed in which the needles penetrate the skin.
Each individual is evaluated and the specifications of the procedure are tailored to their skin type, their pain tolerance (if any) and their preferences in intensity.
During the procedure either platelet rich plasma (PRP) or another serum such as hyaluronic acid can be applied to the skin.
Step 4: Leave the office bloody and ready to scare anyone in your path
Step 5: Healing time and after one week except a glow! Can expect redness and peeling up to one week post procedure - however the good thing about this procedure is that you can start wearing makeup as early as the next day (if needed).
THE SCIENCE BEHIND MICRONEEDLING:
1. Uses your own body's immune system to stimulate collagen and elastin production (by stimulating fibroblast and growth factor production)
2. Quick outpatient office procedure – in and out in 45 min
3. Helps with many skin conditions both short term and long term: acne, melasma, hyperpigmentation, wrinkles from aging, sun damage, scarring from burns, acne, trauma and more
4. Thickens and tightens your skin and restores its architecture
5. Not restricted to just the face: can be used anywhere on the body
6. The more you do it the more benefits you get out of it
7. Can deliver peptides, hyaluronic acid, PRP and other serums efficiently during the procedure to promote better improved skin texture
8. Good for all skin types – from light to dark, from thick to thin
9. Minimal risks associated with this procedure and short healing time (from 1-7 days)