7 Simple Ways to Decrease Symptoms of Reflux by Dr. Rahi’s Integrative Aesthetics™ Specialist
Read below about 7 easy and clinically proven ways to decrease your symptoms of reflux. For more information, call us at Dr. Rahi’s Integrative Aesthetics™ Specialist or simply schedule an appointment online! We have 2 convenient locations to serve you in Beverly Hills CA, and SoHo NY!
Reflux disease, aka gastro-esophageal reflux disease (GERD), affects > 50% of the population annually. Conventional treatment has been the use of proton pump inhibitors (PPI) to mask their symptoms. Although these medications are useful for certain conditions, they are not absolutely necessary for reflux disease. Long term use of these medications lead to long term consequences, and unfortunately this is not a well known fact.
In addition to creating dependence, PPI’s can result in intestinal infections, hip fractures, pneumonias, calcium, magnesium and vitamin B12 deficiencies.
Are there ways to treat reflux without the use of PPI’s?
The answer is yes. It may take a little bit more work but definitely worth it in the long run. As with most chronic diseases lifestyle modifications are key to reversing or controlling the disease state.
Here are 7 easy and clinically proven ways to decrease your symptoms of reflux
- Small meals throughout the day and avoid eating at least 2 hours before you sleep each evening
- Increase your fruits and vegetables in your diet: the higher your fiber content the less reflux you may experience
- Decrease your alcohol intake
- Decrease your stress levels
- Licorice Root (glycyrrhizin): recommended dosage is 3 times/day approximately 30 minutes prior to a meal: avoid long term use of this plant derivative
** as with any medical condition: it is important to check in with your health care practitioner before changing or starting any new medications **